Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day Three in Chicago 2014: Chasing the Little Goat

R at The Little Goat


My sister-in-law kept urging us to have breakfast at a place called The Little Goat, 820 W. Randolph St., in the West Loop, a place she visited when she was last in Chicago. We oblige. Delicious! The breakfast is awesome, plentiful and the locale is bright, cheerful and friendly. I embarrass the husband by asking our server if she is Italian as she has an Italian surname.

The Little Goat
I contemplate making a trip to Ernest Hemingway's boyhood home in Oak Park area of Chicago - west of the hotel. But it seems a cumbersome trip - involving buses, a subway and a short walk. Instead I watch a slide show of the house and decide I ain't missing much although I am totally enamored of Mr. Hemingway.

We visit the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago to see Unbound: Contemporary Art After Frida Kahlo. We tried to visit this museum last time but it was closed on the Monday we were there.


One of Kahlo's paintings on display
Untitled c. 1978 by Ana Mendieta
J has a hankering for Japanese food after some clothes shopping and we stumble on Friends Sushi, 710 N Rush St. and have a late lunch.

We end the night with a teary viewing of teenage angst film The Fault in Our Stars at J's request ... but, if I am honest, I shed more tears at the aquarium than I did at this film. 

On the way home we spy a relatively new eatery/Italian groceteria called Eataly, 43 East Ohio Street. We are all visibly salivating going through the rows of pasta, olive oil, gelato, cheeses, fresh fruits and vegetables ... we have found our lunch spot for the next day!

No comments: