Thursday, May 31, 2012

May Cultural Roundup

Destroyed cathedral of Péronne, Somme 
c. 1918 (Photo: Ullstein Bild)
A month of historical fiction ... Rasputin's Imperial Russia, the Indian diaspora in Ethiopia and scenes from the First World War. And a trio of crappy films.

Films
Meet the Fokkens (Netherlands, 2012) directed by Gabriëlle Provaas & Rob Schröder
What's your Number? (U.S., 2011) directed by Mark Mylod
The Avengers (U.S., 2012) by Josh Whedon 

Readings:
The (Not So) Nice Italian Girls & Friend celebrate New and Emerging Writers @ Annex Live, May 16, 2012

Books:
Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison (Please see review here)
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Please see review here)
The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate History of the First World War by Peter Englund

2 comments:

Christine said...

I get the crappiness of two of the films -- but you didn't like the Avengers? I am seeing it later this week. Now I am afraid as I trust your opinion :)

Michelle said...

Don't go my my opinion C, everyone I know loved it but I was so bored with it.